Dating and learning how to get a girlfriend in high school can seem very intimidating. In fact, dating at any age can be a very scary adventure, but even more so during high school when you, your body, your emotions, and your life are all undergoing major changes. Hormones are rushing in, risk-taking behavior becomes the norm, and between juggling schoolwork, social groups, sports, and family, getting a girlfriend might seem frustrating.
Relationships for teenagers can be complicated, and the participants can quickly become overwhelmed. You never know what to expect from a teenaged romance. Will it end in a lasting relationship? Are you better off as friends? Or will you crash and burn to the embarrassment and frustration of the both of you? Guess what? Those same questions plague adult relationships as well.
All of this together can make getting a girlfriend in high school seem impossible, but with a few tips, you’ll be gaining popularity with the girls in no time. Here are a few tips on how to get a girlfriend in high school.
Broaden Your Social Group
Even with all of the tips and advice in the world, there is simply no way to get a girlfriend if you don’t get out and meet girls. And how can you meet girls? By growing your social group and expanding beyond it to make friends with new people. Sounds easy, right? But it isn’t, not for everyone. For those who are struggling with ways to expand their social circle, here are a few ideas:
1. Consider Who You Hang Out With
One thing you will need to take under serious consideration before you begin the expansion of your social circle is the people that you already hang out with. Are your friends the kind of people that you’d want a potential girlfriend to meet? Do they bully others? Are they rude or insensitive? Or are they good people that you can be proud of knowing?
2. Join Groups, Sports, etc.
Another way to broaden your social circle and thus increase your chances of meeting hot girls is to join various groups, such as organizations or sports at your school or in your community. Which groups that you choose to join should depend on your likes and dislikes. This will help to ensure that the girls that you meet in these groups will be interested in the same sorts of things that you are.
3. Be More Social
It can also help you to meet more girls if you choose to get out more with your friends. By going to the places that your friends are going and meeting their friends, your social circle will continue to grow. So many long-term couples got their start when the guy met a friend of a friend at a party or other social event. That could easily be you.
4. Use Social Networking
If you are more of an introvert, and you are not really interested in joining sports teams or going to parties, there is still hope for you. You might choose to use your social media or even gaming communities to meet girls. In order to find someone that you could actually hang out with, you should choose to connect with girls who live nearby to your home. This is an easy way to communicate with girls who may be just as introverted, and yet lonely, as you are.
Being Yourself is Important
It is very important that you be yourself from the very beginning if you want to get a girlfriend in high school. You might think that it is a good idea to try to be someone that you think girls will like.
For example, you might be a guy who loves science, but you decide to join a football team because you think that girls like football players.
The problem with this is, if you don’t really like football, then you are going to attract girls who don’t like who you really are. When the “real you” comes out, and believe me he will, then your relationship will fall apart when she realizes that you just aren’t her type. This will cause your self-esteem to take a completely unnecessary blow.
Just because this girl doesn’t like you doesn’t mean anything is wrong with you or her.
It simply means she was not the girl who would like guys like you. If you had joined a science club instead, you could have met a girl who is into science, and therefore really into guys like you.
Don’t Get Stuck on Just One Girl
A guy who is looking to find a girlfriend in high school should not let himself get hung up on only one girl. While having a high school crush is perfectly normal, putting all of your focus on one girl will severely limit your chances of meeting a girl whose personality and interests will match with yours. You are still in the process of figuring out who you are and what you like, so you should keep your options open on finding a girlfriend in high school.
Even if you have more than one crush, it is still a good idea to interact with several girls in various social settings. By approaching and being friendly with more than just one or two girls, you increase your chances of meeting someone who you are compatible with. Even if the girls that you meet end up just being friends, or not even being someone that you like, you have gained experience in how to be social and you have honed your communication skills.
Be Friendly, or Even Flirty
When you meet a girl that you like, you don’t want to get stuck in what is often called “the friend zone.” You can avoid this and give big hints about your intentions by being extra friendly or even flirty with this girl. It may be that you have no idea how to flirt. Here are a few pointers:
- Seek Her Out – One of the first ways that a girl can tell that a guy like her is if he constantly seeks her out. If you make a point of stopping by her locker between classes to chat with her or look for her at lunch instead of looking for your friends, she will probably start to think that you might like her. You might also walk her to class after chatting with her. This will let her know that you don’t really want the conversation to end.
- Give Her Compliments – You can also let a girl know that you’re into her by complimenting something about her. You might start a conversation by telling her how nice she looks. You could hold the door open for her and comment that her perfume smells nice as she walks by. Or you may choose to say something nice about her hair, or eyes.
- Light Touches – While it isn’t a good idea to get too touchy-feely at school, and you should never touch a girl without her permission, you might choose to hold her hand or brush lightly against her arm as you chat with her. If either of you tells a joke, you might touch her shoulder as both of you laugh. Just remember to always respect a girl’s boundaries.
- Make Her Laugh – Speaking of jokes, one of the fastest ways to make a girl fall head over heels for you is to make her laugh. Laughter is such a simple way to lessen anxiety, relieve the stress of high school, and make her feel comfortable with you. A girl might forget a guy who bought her flowers or sat with her during lunch, but she will always remember the one who made her laugh.
In Closing, Ask Her Out
Those are just a few tips for how to get a girlfriend in high school. You should also know that once you have implemented these tips and found a girl that you are interested in, you might want to ask her out. Here are a few pointers.
- While this can be a terrifying experience, it will be much easier once you have been hanging out with her and gotten to know her.
- You might choose an upcoming school event such as a school dance to ask her to. Or, you might decide to ask her to hang out with you and your friends for a while. By taking her to places or events that interest you both, you increase your chances of a successful date.
- You also might choose a date which involves the two of you being alone. This is a good choice if you have already built a connection and are comfortable with each other. If you are worried that either of you may get bored or that the conversation may drop, then having others around can help make those moments easier.
Again, you should always respect her boundaries and do not touch her in any way that she has not made welcome. Also, if you are hoping for more dates, you might want to make sure you get her home at the time that her parents have designated.
Recommended Scam-Free Dating Sites
Recommended People Checking Service
Other Related Articles